At one point in life or another, and for a myriad of reasons, we have all felt vulnerable. The feeling may manifest itself in our bodies and thoughts in different ways and we have our own ways of reacting to it. Or not reacting. I think one way of expressing this vulnerability is that it may feel like you stand before something or someone without any protection, almost like being without skin. And that we can feel the need for some kind of extra skin to wrap around us for warmth, comfort, protection, support...

If you were to make such a symbolic skin - what would it look like?

This blog is dedicated to my project Symbolic Skin. Here, I will present contributions to the project, blog abot it's process and my thoughts around it's theme. Fuller information can be found on the pages above. Feel welcome to join in, read, comment and discuss!

fredag 11 november 2011

Words for skin number two.

The woman who sent me her symbolic skin a while ago, now completed her contribution with some words describing her thoughts behind the piece of art. Her skin can be seen here:
And so the words:


"Since I was young I have loved to experiment and play up colours and shapes with fabric and
yarn. For several years I had a business where I created clothes which purpose was not solely to protect against cold but were also supposed to offer a second skin. An extra skin that in the correct and unique guise in colour, shape and material could work as some sort of soul shield – a symbolic skin to protect and give inner balance to the person wearing them.


This, my symbolic skin is a soft and strong shield made through dying in my pot in the
garden and through matting and uniting different sorts of wool fibers as well as old and new pieces of fabric.
Violetblue and redorange are my favorite colours at the moment
- blue for the deep ocean and orange for the life-giving fire."
Especially this life-giving fire is something I really also would like to wrap around myself now that november is turning colder and colder with every day here in Sweden.
Love to all of you!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar